The Alberta government started a program in July 2012 which enables pharmacists to perform medication reviews to eligible Albertans as a benefit of the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan. These reviews are designed to help Albertans better understand and manage their medications and medical conditions.
How does a medication review work?
One of our pharmacists will sit down with you for a one-on-one uninterrupted meeting. An appointment will take between 30 to 60 minutes. During this time they will:
- Assess your current medication and past medication history
- Confirm that you understand why you are taking each medication and the correct way to take it
- Identify any existing or possible drug therapy problems
- Determine the goals of therapy for each medication
- Identify possible interventions to manage any existing or possible drug therapy problems
- Create a care plan to help resolve any possible drug related problems and help you achieve the goals of therapy
- Develop a follow up plan to ensure that issues discussed at the appointment are dealt with
We will document the details of the appointment and notify your family physician and other health care providers about the plan discussed.
Am I eligible?
You can have a medication review done once a year by a pharmacist for no charge if you meet the following criteria:
- You have an Alberta Health Care card
- You are available to meet our pharmacist in person at our clinic or in your home
- You are taking at least 3 different prescription medicines
- You have one or more of the following conditions:
- High blood pressure
- Diabetes (Type 1 or Type 2)
- Breathing problems including Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) or Asthma
- Heart problems such as Heart Failure or Heart Disease
- Mental Illness
- Addictions (including Tobacco)
If eligible, these reviews are covered as part of your Alberta health care coverage. You are limited to one full review per year. Follow up appointments can be scheduled within 14 days of being discharged from a hospital admission, by referral from your doctor, or as part of the follow up process determined by the pharmacist doing the review.
Keep getting your prescriptions filled at your existing pharmacy
Please note that while we have pharmacists available to perform these medication reviews and assessments, we are not interested in taking over filling your prescriptions from your existing pharmacy. At Polaris Travel Clinic and Pharmacy, we are focused on providing pharmacist clinical services and mostly limit our dispensing of medications to travel related ones.
If you are eligible, we would advise you to take advantage of this program to maximize your understanding of your medications. Your pharmacist at the pharmacy where you get your prescriptions may also offer these medication review services. If your pharmacy does not offer these services, or you would prefer another perspective about your medications without switching where you get your prescriptions filled, consider Polaris Travel Clinic and Pharmacy and our team of pharmacists. Some of our pharmacists also have special interests in certain medical conditions. When you book a medication review with us, we will try to create the best match possible between patient and pharmacist. We also have a wide variety of appointment times available.
For more information, please do not hesitate to contact us via email at email@example.com or call us at 403-980-TRIP (8747). If you would like to request an appointment for a medication assessment and review, fill out the information below: