No matter where your destination is or what type of trip you are taking, there can be benefits to having a travel health consultation. At your appointment, you will receive personalized education and recommendations designed to keep you safe and healthy while away. This one-on-one appointment will provide you with the opportunity to discuss your questions and concerns with a travel health practitioner who is up to date with the latest information about traveling abroad.
Whether it’s an evaluation of your malaria risk or the best ways to avoid traveller’s diarrhea, our travel health practitioners can provide you with context at your consultation so you understand what information is most important for you.
The pre-travel consultation takes approximately 30-60 minutes. During this appointment we will:
- Review your medical history, including past and current conditions, immunization records, and prescription medications.
- Discuss your details of your trip, such as where you are going, planned activities and accommodations.
- Provide recommendations regarding vaccines, prescription and non-prescription drugs as well non-medicinal advice to keep you healthy and safe.
- We are able to provide you with your immunizations and prescriptions immediately after your consultation.
When should I book my appointment?
The ideal time to book your pre-travel consultation is between 4 and 8 weeks prior to travel. Having the appointment this far in advance give us time to schedule any series of vaccines needed prior to travel. However, there is still benefit in making an appointment even if you are leaving in a few days. We can often accommodate appointments on short notice.
Call our clinic at 403-980-TRIP or click here to request an appointment. If you are on Twitter, follow us @polaristravelrx. We will tweet updates about appointment availability.
What should I bring to my appointment?
At your appointment, you should bring:
- Your travel itinerary
- Your current immunization records
- A list of your current medications
- A list of any travel health questions you may have for us
How much does a travel health consultation cost?
Click here for our list of fees.
We can fill your travel prescriptions and direct billing to many drug plans
Being a pharmacy as well as a travel clinic presents a couple of advantages to our patients. We can be your one stop travel health stop. You can have a consultation, get your vaccination, fill your prescription, and buy your over the counter medications such as Imodium or Gravol all in one visit.
Another advantage is that we have the ability to directly bill your vaccinations and prescription drugs to many private health plans. Coverage can vary from plan to plan, but this ability to directly bill can be faster and more convenient than having to submit your receipts and wait for a response.