As of Thursday, January 9, 2013 – We have run out of flu vaccine in the injection form, but we still have it in the nasal spray form. Alberta Health announced that they will be keeping all remaining doses of vaccine for their own mass clinics and public health offices. Once we use up our remaining doses of nasal spray we will not be receiving any further vaccine this flu season.
Healthy Albertans from age 9 to 59 can receive the nasal spray version of the flu vaccine at our clinic. The following people should not receive the nasal spray version:
- have severe asthma
- have a weak immune system (either a medical condition or on medications that weaken the immune system)
- are pregnant
- have received a live vaccine in the past 4 weeks
- have an egg allergy
- have a history of a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) to the influenza vaccine or any part of it
- have had a severe reaction to the influenza vaccine in the past (e.g., trouble breathing)
- are younger than 2 or older than 59
- are 2 years up to 18 years and take aspirin or medicine with aspirin in it
- are a healthcare provider, worker, or caregiver who works with people with weak immune systems
If you would like to request an appointment to receive the nasal spray, call 403-980-TRIP (8747) or fill in the form located on this page: http://www.polaristravelclinic.ca/flu-shots/
Please note we can only provide flu vaccines to children 9 years and older.